Wednesday, June 25, 2008

We interrupt this New Attitude feed to bring you...

...news from camp!


Week before last I had the opportunity to serve as a counselor at the Georgia Youth District youth camp. I helped our youth pastor and his wife drive kids down to the camp and then had my first camp experience post-camper age.

We left Monday morning at 6:00 am after having spent the night at the church. Perhaps not one of our smarter ideas as teenagers together in one place generally don't go to sleep early. We finally dozed off at 3:30 a.m. and packed up our cars again at 5:00 a.m.

Driving to Forsyth on two hours sleep with the sounds of three sleeping teenagers around me was not the easiest thing I have ever done. Thanks to Mountain Dew, coffee, and KJ-52 (unhappily for my riders) I made it there without dozing off.

The theme was Holy Visitation and we were placed on the yellow team- The Yellow Mudslides. Our church was the smallest and the last to register so we got the old cabin #2 - aka no A/C, no shower curtains, and an abundance of dirt. After two days of finding mouse/rat droppings across the cabin we came back from service one night to find droppings on my sleeping bag (ugh!) and then Wednesday night we actually spotted the little critters.

But its things like that which make camp memorable.

It was definitely interesting to be a counselor though. To find myself on the other side of everything. Praying for the kids during the altar calls was slightly unnerving at first- took me a bit to move past the fact that it wasn't about anything I could do, it was about what God would do in their lives.

Great services courtesy of Rick Lorimer. So exciting to see our teenagers going after God! Even the quietest of the group could be found raising hands and shouting praises to God. It was amazing to see the young people get on fire for God and be baptized by the Holy Spirit.

It was also the last event we would be able to participate in with our youth pastor, Milton M. and his wife Gloria. I love you guys and I am so thankful you gave me the opportunity to serve with you last week. I can't wait to see what God is going to do in your new ministry and I pray that the transition is smooth. Thank you for what you have done in the lives of our youth. We'll miss you!

No comments: